Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Joys of Frozen Food

I know what you're thinking. With that title, I've probably planted a sad image in your mind of an old lady suddenly cooking for one and just opting for the modern equivalent of a TV dinner rather than bothering.

That's all wrong.

I mean, I'm not even 50.

And, I've frankly never been averse to making a meal of Amy's vegetarian enchiladas.

But, the frozen food isn't for me.

It's the only solution I've been able to come up with for having an intermittent child. When Tori visited her father, I had a clear timetable. Sure, sometimes she'd ask to stay a little longer or something would come up and I'd have to pick her up a day early, but for the most part I knew whether she was living with me or not at any given time.

That allowed me some luxuries that I never realized were luxuries, like buying produce.

For various reasons (I have medical considerations, she's an on-and-off vegetarian), Tori and I evolved toward eating mostly different things some time ago. There are times, of course, when we have dinner together, or when we decide together to throw aside all the rules and eat something crazy that's not made out of food in place of dinner. For the most part, though, there's her food and my food.

So earlier this week, I went to the grocery store and found myself sort of standing in the middle of an aisle, rethinking everything.

She'd been gone for days. I didn't know when she was coming home. Should I just buy my food?

That definitely seemed wrong. She technically still lives with me. Much of the time, she actually still lives with me. Her bedroom and most of her things and her dog are here. It's her home. Mostly. Kind of.

So, definitely she should have food here. She should be able to open the refrigerator and take out something to eat, just like she's done all her life, right?

Yes.

I mean, I know I'm not technically obligated to feed her. Having informed me at four that I had to feed my kid every day because it was a law, she updated me when she turned 17--apparently, that's where the obligation ends.

Still, I want to feed her.

But, the thing is, we're not big on preservatives in my house. Though we don't always eat the same things, we've been pretty much in agreement for a few years that we should try to stick to food that's made out of food.

You know, the kind that you have to buy fresh.

Fish. Organic chicken breasts. Produce. Stuff you can't really stock up on in case, unless you're willing to toss a lot uneaten.

In this moment of deep confusion and uncertainty, I've turned to Amy's, and Morningstar. The next time the child comes home, she'll be constructing her meals entirely from frozen vegetarian chicken patties, Grillers, crumbles, and canned organic olives.

There's a better way, right? If you've found it, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment